Why you should switch to natural deodorants.
There are so many natural deodorants available these days. We have ten gorgeous natural and chemical free deodorants from our sellers right here. So, there’s lots of choice.
If you haven’t already, you should switch. And here’s a few reasons why.
Most spray on, or aerosol deodorants, are bad for the environment
Consumer aerosol products contain harmful chemicals. They go directly on your skin. The aerosol means you’re also inhaling the chemicals. And they are going directly into the environment. Once they are out there, they can be harmful to plants, animals, and human beings.
But CFC free aerosols are OK, right?
Most aerosols now are CFC free. Mainly because CFCs (the harmful chemicals that were depleting the ozone layer) were banned because of the proven and considerable damage to the environment.
BUT, it’s still the chemicals actually in the deodorant that can be pretty nasty and cause skin irritations and rashes in those delicate underarm areas. Read the ingredients!
Deodorants can contain chemicals that cause skin irritations.
As well as the chemicals and VOCs needed to propel aerosol particles out of the can, the deodorant mixture inside can be hiding some pretty questionable chemicals. Like the long list below!
- SD alcohol, benzyl alcohol, and denatured alcohol - skin and eye irritants
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) - an antioxidant.
- Camphor - strong astringent. Can irritate skin, eyes, and lungs.
- Chlorophenol - potentially harmful to health. It can damage the kidneys, liver, and reproductive system. Also carcinogenic.
- Citrus terpenes - preservatives used in aerosol hairsprays and deodorants. Can cause respiratory problems and heart abnormalities.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) - a solvent, stabilizer, emulsifier used in cosmetics. Associated with liver cancer if absorbed by the skin or inhaled as spray.
- Ethyl alcohol - can harm eye, skin, and respiratory tract.
- Ethylene oxide - widely used in the manufacture of antifreeze, brake fluid, and other chemicals. Carcinogenic. Can cause nerve damage.
- Phenol - toxic substance that irritates skin and eyes.
- Zinc ricinoleate - possible skin irritant
- Parabens - can affect the hormonal system of the body.
- Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is used in aerosols to produce a mist
You don’t need us to tell you most of this stuff isn’t going to be skin friendly. Especially used every day. Using natural deodorants will avoid all of these chemicals which can irritate skin.
Skin irritations caused by deodorants
If you’re using a spray deodorant, and even roll ons, you can become irritated by the chemicals it contains. You don’t have to be allergy prone. In fact, you can become sensitive over time with continuous use. Some of the chemicals we listed above can be in your deodorant. They are not skin friendly!
With deodorant reactions, one of the first symptoms that usually appears is a burning sensation and irritated skin. Other symptoms may include:
- Red blisters or spots on the skin
- A lump in the armpit
- Very intense itching
- In some cases, when the deodorant isn’t removed immediately, peeling, blistering or even burns may occur in the armpit.
In more sensitive people, there may even be more severe allergy symptoms, such as swelling of the face, eyes or tongue, the feeling of something stuck in the throat or difficulty in breathing. In these cases, you should go to the hospital immediately.
Anti Perspirant deodorant contains aluminium
Despite rumours, most cancer organisations and charities say there is no evidence to link aluminium to a higher cancer risk. That said, aluminium works to stop you perspiring by stopping the sweat coming out. There are differing schools of thought. Some experts say this doesn’t cause a ‘build up’ of toxins (that would normally come out in sweat). But, if you are experiencing irritated skin, you might want to avoid anti perspirants that use aluminium (a metal) to stop the sweat. There are natural alternatives.
Deodorant can or roll on packaging isn’t eco friendly
Most cans, roll ons or sticks packaging is made from aluminium and plastics. If not disposed of correctly, they end up in landfill, burned or in the ocean. And, remnants of the deodorant liquid are still in the can. This leaks out over time into the sea or the land, causing harm to soil, water tables and marine wildlife.
Why are natural deodorants better for you?
- They use chemical free ingredients - gentler for the skin
- They use natural and often organic ingredients that can help with skin conditions
- There are zero aluminium and natural alternatives for anti perspirant
- They have eco friendly packaging with less waste.
- They don't contain environmentally damaging chemicals, VCOs or CFCs
- They have gorgeous natural and botanic scents. Better than the sometimes weird fake perfumes of standard deodorants.
Ten of our best natural, gentle and effective eco friendly deodorants.
Guess what? We have some fab natural deodorants in stock from our independent sellers. They smell amazing, are made with completely natural ingredients and the packaging is all biodegradable. What’s not to love. Check these out.
Clearly FRESH, Natural Magnesium Deodorant (Geranium Sage)
Top marks for this one. Clearly Fresh 100% natural magnesium deodorant is formulated with plant and mineral based ingredients. It's super effective as a deodorant, keeps you dry, and protects sensitive skin. It's for everyone. With a subtle neutral essential oil blend of geranium and sage. It smells refreshing and invigorating, without being overwhelming.
- 100% natural plant based ingredients. Aluminum and alcohol free. 100% vegan and cruelty free.
- Natural ingredients including magnesium chloride and witch hazel neutralise odour-causing bacteria to keep you feeling dry and smelling great.
- 24 hour protection guaranteed - it's been tested on men, women, and teens.
- No staining! Roll-on liquid deodorant means no waste, no staining and no debris, like with solid deodorants.
- Made for sensitive underarms with organic Aloe Vera, organic Argan oil and Witch Hazel to help protect the skin from irritation and discolouration.
NEW - Battle Green's full range of natural deodorants.
Our new seller, Battle Green, has an incredible range of all new natural deodorants. In recyclable, reusable tins or their zero waste card tubes! Funky, cool and they smell unbelievable. We absolutely love them. Never going back!
Grapefruit & Mint Natural Deodorant Tin
Orange & Patchouli Natural Deodorant Tin
One of the big favourites of this natural deodorant balm range. Orange and Patchouli natural deodorant just oozes a fresh sensuality. With ingredients like Sodium bicarbonate & arrowroot powder, it's a super effective deodorant. With organic shea butter, soy bean oil and organic coconut oil it's gentle and skin softening. And the sweet orange essential oil and patchouli essential oil make it smell divine!
Lemon & Rose Natural Deodorant Tin
For the delicate flowers who love some freshness with their softness! The Lemon and Rose deodorant balm is just summer and delicacy all over. But dont be fooled, this natural deodorant works hard to keep you dry, soft and smelling of roses. With Lemongrass and Rose Geranium essential oils, it's heaven in a reusable eco friendly tin!
Lime & Vanilla Natural Deodorant Tube
If you don't fancy the balm tin, then Battle Greens fab cool natural deodorant tubes are yours!
Lavender & Tea Tree Natural Deodorant Tube
Lavender and Tea tree natural balm makes the perfect combo for gentle and clean natural deodorant. Powerful and anti bacterial tea tree treats your skin, with lavender to ease and smell wonderful. Who needs chemicals when nature give you this partnership?
Battle Green make their PETA-certified vegan cosmetics in small batches using effective plant-based ingredients. So they'll always arrive with you fresh and naturally gorgeous-smelling.
Grapefruit & Mint Natural Deodorant Tube
Zesty and fresh as it comes. All natural deodorant in a fully recyclable card tube with grapefruit and mint. Could there be a better deodorant scent?
A formula rich with totally natural ingredients will be a life saver if you have skin conditions or sensitive skin. This truly is a natural deodorant for sensitive, dry, flaky or allergy prone skin.
Orange & Patchouli Natural Deodorant Tube
We said it before, we'll say it again .. this natural orange and patchouli combo not only smells heavenly, but is a fantastic alternative to standard deodorant. A rich melting balm in a zero waste tube. With no chemicals and its environmentally safe packaging, it's a sure fire winner.
And , if you want your natural deodorant surrounded by other natural, gorgeous goodies. Or you want a perfect gift box for her, him, yourself! Then have a look at these natural beauties.
The Zero Waste Beauty Hamper Gift Box
What's in the box?
- 1 x Dry shampoo powder (50g shaker pot)
- - 1 x Soap slice (100g)
- - 1 x Lip balm (11g paper tube)
- - 1 x Deodorant balm (50g paper tube)
- - 1 x Clay face mask (50g sachet)
- - 1 x Coconut husk soap rest
- FLORAL - Botanical scents including lavender, rose, chamomile or vanilla
- FRUITY - Juicy scents including lemon, lime, grapefruit or orange
- FRESH - Clean, invigorating scents including mint, eucalyptus or tea tree
And, want more eco friendly good news?
The Zero Waste Bathroom Box. Perfect gift.
- - 1 x Battle Green bamboo toothbrush (100% bio-based bristles)
- - 1 x Natural Loofah on String
- - 1 x Battle Green Natural Deodorant (Choose from 5 scents)
- - 1 x Natural Shampoo Bar (Choose from 3 scents)
- - 1 x Travel Tin
- - 200 x FSC Bamboo cotton buds
You can also order zero waste gift wrapping with this one. And, along with the Zero Waste Beauty Hamper before, each box plants a tree! Win, win, win!
You should absolutely switch to natural deodorant!
We have these gorgeous natural deodorants, and there are many more out there. (but we bet you won't find better smelling that these ten awesome all natural beauties!)
With all the downside of chemicals, environmental damage, waste and increasing skin irritation and allergies, why wouldn't you switch?! It's a no brainer. Your armpits will thank you. Not to mention the planet.
Go on, break the habit and treat yourself.
Love yourself, love your planet x